One of the most common questions I get asked is "what's the best form of heating?"
Much to the frustration of most people, I usually answer "it depends…" The best type of heater for you and your home does depend on many factors, however there are some guiding principles that apply to all cases.
- The most sustainable form of heating is passive
- The second most sustainable form of heating is wood
- Heat pumps (split-system, reverse-cycle air conditioners) are single room heaters
- Homes with solid fuel burners are generally warmer than those with electric heating
- Your roof won't heat your home
- Water is much better at moving heat around then air it
- Insulation is always the first step
- Insulation is not heating
CCANZ design guide:
Otago Univserity study on heating potential of home ventilation systems:
Direct download: 17_Heating_Guidelines.mp3
-- posted at: 12:55pm +13